Skip to main content

Canterbury Rabbit Club (Christchurch, N.Z.)



  • Existence: 1874 - 1930s


The Canterbury Rabbit Club was established in 1874. The aim of the Club was to preserve rabbits on Templar’s Island / McLean’s Island, Waimakariri. Rabbits were shot by members of the club (and visitors) during shooting season which ran from March 24th until September 30th. A gamekeeper was appointed and his main role was to protect the rabbits against poachers. The Canterbury Rabbit Club appears to have dissolved in the 1930s.

(1905, August 30). Agricultural and Pastoral news. Otago Witness, p7.

(1924, May 20). News and notes. The Manawatu Herald, p4.

(1874, April 6). Meetings; notice. The Lyttelton Times, p1.

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

Canterbury Rabbit Club records

Identifier: Arch 0299
Scope and Contents

The records of the Canterbury Rabbit Club includes a bound photocopy of the original members' and visitors' book, which is owned by R.G. Deans. The rules of the Club (1876) are inside the back cover.

Dates: 1874-1882