Skip to main content

Burwood War Memorial Committee



  • Existence: 1917 - 2002
  • Usage: 1918 - 2002
  • Usage: 1917 - 1918


This Committee was formed in 1917 as the Burwood Soldiers' Entertainment Committee, for the benefit of returned soldiers. In 1918 it became the Burwood War Memorial Committee, and in 1921 the War Memorial was unveiled. A column engraved on its base with the names of local soldiers killed in the War, it stands in its own grounds on the corner of Lake Terrace and New Brighton Roads. In 1947 the names of local soldiers killed in the Second World War were added. In 2002 the Committee disbanded, handing over the care of the Memorial and its grounds to the Christchurch City Council.

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

Burwood War Memorial Committee records

Identifier: Arch 0835
Scope and Contents

The records of the Burwood War Memorial Committee includes minutes, correspondence, history, photographs, orders of service and financial records.

Includes two letters from A.E.G. Rhodes, May and June 1922, with the letterhead Te Koraha, the name of the Rhodes' house in Hewitts Road, now part of Rangi Ruru. Also includes Alison McKenzie's History of Burwood War Memorial, 1993.

Dates: 1917-2002