Skip to main content

Aulsebrook & Co. Ltd.



  • Existence: 1863 - 1963


Aulsebrook & Co. was a biscuit company founded by John Aulsebrook.

Aulsebrooks bakery was established in 1863, by John Aulsebrook, on a Colombo Street site. In 1879 Robert McDougall’s father, W.E. McDougall, bought in as partner and a new factory was built at the corner of Montreal and St Asaph Streets. After two years the partnership ceased, but in 1883 Aulsebrook approached McDougall again. W.E. McDougall declined further involvement, but bought an interest for his son. Until 1889, when John Aulsebrook moved to Sydney and sold out to Robert, Robert managed Lane’s Flour Mill, on Mill Island in the Avon near the Hereford Street bridge.

The business was a leading biscuit and confectionery manufacturer and the Christchurch’s largest private employer.

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

Christchurch photographs and postcards

Identifier: Arch 1054
Scope and Contents

Includes photographs of Aulsebrooks staff picnic 1898, Christchurch Technical High School rugby team 1932, Gilby's College staff 1915, Parish of All Saints Rotherham (England) 1949, Worcester Street Christchurch, Lyttelton Harbour, hay mowing with horses, Mt Pleasant Accommodation House, and a postcard of New Zealand International Exhibition, 1906.

Dates: c1880-1949