Skip to main content

Brackenfield Hunt Club



  • Existence: 1883 - Present


This Hunt exists to promote the sport of hunting and steeplechasing by holding hunts and steeplechase meetings. Brackenfield is a locality near the Kowai river and Amberly. The Hunt was founded by George Starky (1858-1926), who owned the Brakenfield property from 1883. By the club’s 110th anniversary in 1994 there were almost 200 members, who met twice weekly during the season (April to late July) to hunt rabbits and hares on North Canterbury properties. The club also ran gymkhana, steeplechasers and social events such as balls. The club had a recess during World War Two, with the first post-war hunt held in 1947

(1946, August 26). Brackenfield Hunt; trials at Rangiora. The Press, p7.
(1994, July 12). Canterbury hunt celebrates long history. The Press, p4.
(1947, May 12). Brackenfield Hunt; first meeting since war. The Press, p4.

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

Brackenfield Hunt Club records

Identifier: Arch 0001
Scope and Contents

The records of the Brakenfield Hunt Club includes minute books with some other material included within the volumes. Material within the volumes includes lists of members, annual reports, notices of meets, hunter trials, newspaper clippings, photographs and correspondence.

Dates: 1905-1977