- Existence: 1842 - 1922
George Bedford came out to New Zealand on the Mystery in 1859. In 1864 he married Frances (Fanny) Smith, at St. Luke's, Christchurch. Fanny was the daughter of Henry Addington Smith, the first jeweller in Christchurch. From 1864 until 1867 they were the proprietors of the Miners Arms, on the Old West Coast Road, Halkett. In 1898 they began farming at Courtenay, near Kirwee, calling the farm Apsley. George Bedford's diary was begun in 1864 at the Miners Arms, and continued until his death in 1922.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
The papers of George Bedford include a bound typescript volume including George Bedford's diary, accounts and will. Also includes folders containing a photocopied lease, accounts, historical and family notes.