Skip to main content

Thomson, Maria



Maria Thomson, a widow, came out to Christchurch on the Hampshire in 1853. In 1854 she opened Avon House, a day and boarding school for well-to-do girls. The school was first in Oxford Terrace, but in 1859 moved to the corner of Park Terrace and Salisbury Street. In 1865 Mrs. Thomson returned to England, publishing a book in 1867 called Twelve years in Canterbury, New Zealand, which concerns her journeys rather then her time in Canterbury. Mrs. Charles Thomson (as she always described herself), returned to Christchurch in 1867,and reopened her school, which was as successful as before. Mrs. Thomson died, aged 67, in 1875.

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

Maria Thomson papers

Identifier: Arch 0578
Scope and Contents

Manuscript, typescript and photocopies of research papers and notes concerning Maria Thomson, compiled by Pat E. French. Papers include extracts from various books, newspapers and other publications.

Also includes two copies of Mrs. Thomson's will, 1875, and plan of Barbadoes Street Cemetery.

Dates: 1853-1999