Skip to main content

166 Cashel Street, Land Transfer documents

Identifier: Arch 1211


  • 1904 - 1947


Biographical / Historical

The first owners of 166 Cashel were the Wardells (John. Henry, William and Thomas) early merchants with an established grocery business. They sold it to the White Hart company before it was sold again to George Bonnington Ltd. In 1983 The Westpac Centre was built on the site for the Canterbury Savings Bank. Designed by Christchurch Architectural firm Warren and Mahoney. The building became the Westpac Christchurch office in 1996 after the merger with Trust Bank (formerly Canterbury Savings Bank). It sustained significant damage in the Christchurch Earthquakes (then owned by investor Miles Middleton) and was demolished in 2012. The site has since been redeveloped as The Crossing retail precinct.


4 Files

Language of Materials


Physical Location

Shelf TU L 2d, Tūranga, Tuakiri floor, ANZC Archives

Language of description
Script of description

Repository Details

Part of the Christchurch City Libraries Archives Collection Repository

60 Cathedral Square
Central City
Christchurch Canterbury 8011 New Zealand