Skip to main content

Canterbury Provincial Council (1853-1876)



  • Existence: 1853 - 1876


The Canterbury Provincial Council met for the first time on 27 September 1853. This local body obtained its authority from the Provincial Government and remained in place until the Abolition of the Provinces Act in November 1876. The Provincial Council was responsible for the early formation and maintenance of four main streets, Ferry Road, Papanui Road, Riccarton Road and Lincoln Road. The Council was also responsible for the construction of early bridges, most notably those on Papanui Road, Hagley Park Road (now Harper Avenue) and Fendalton Road. In 1863 the Roads District Ordinance was put into place which established Road Boards for the areas outside of the central city.

A History of Municipal Engineering 1862-1990, John A. Ince, Revised and Extended 1998 Jane Donaldson, Christchurch City Council. Christchurch, NZ
McKinnon, M. (2012, June 20). Colonial and provincial government. Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand.

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

Journal of the Canterbury Provincial Council index

Identifier: Arch 0390
Scope and Contents

Manuscript index to the Journal of the Canterbury Provincial Council 1860-1876. Includes subject index. Compiled in the New Zealand Room of Canterbury Public Library.

Dates: 1860-1876