Skip to main content

T.J. Armstrong & Co

 Organization

Dates

  • Existence: 1880 - 1968

Biography

Armstrong's drapery was founded in 1880 by Thomas and Mary Armstrong. It was in Colombo Street, close to its later site on the corner of Colombo and Armagh Streets. It moved to this site in 1886, having expanded into a department store. Between 1905 and 1911 Armstrong's built another store, on the corner of Madras and High Streets. This branch closed in 1955. The main store ceased trading in November 1968, after 88 years. The old Armstrong's became the Union Centre building and was demolished following the February 2011 earthquake.

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

T. Armstrong & Co. historical research papers

 Collection
Identifier: Arch 0613
Scope and Contents

The records of T. Armstrong & Co. department store include photographs of the building and newspaper cuttings detailing the history of the department store. The original photographs are unlabelled and undated, but there are labelled and dated photocopies. Includes a press clipping concerning the builder Gus van Dongen, who worked on the Armstrong's building, as well as manuscript historical notes.

Dates: 1913-1992