Skip to main content

Waimairi County Council (1909-1982)

 Organization

Dates

  • Existence: 1909 - 1982

Biography

In October 1909 the Waimairi County Council was constituted from part of what had originally been Selwyn County. Its jurisdiction extended over the abolished Riccarton and Avon Road districts, which included the Christchurch suburban areas bordering Hagley Park. In 1914 the suburb of North Richmond left Waimairi County Council and amalgamated with Christchurch City Council and Papanui followed suit in 1923. It became Waimairi District Council in 1982 and the district was then amalgamated with Christchurch City Council in 1989.

Citation:
North Richmond amalgamation: Papers Past, Lyttelton Times, 24 June 1913, pg 8.